ZavaMet 500 Tablet 10's
Item requires a valid prescription
Manufactured By Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Composition Vildagliptin 50mg, Metformin 500mg
Includes all taxes
Click here to view Alternate brands
- Zavamet 500 Tablet is a combination of Vildagliptin 50mg, Metformin 500mg that controls high blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- This helps prevent serious complications of diabetes such as kidney damage, blindness, heart attack, or stroke
- Addictive Drug: No
- Therapeutic Class: Anti-diabetic
- Schedule “H” prescription drug Caution: Not to be sold without the prescription of a registered medical practitioner
- Schedule “G” prescription drug Caution: This medication must be taken only under medical supervision
- Store below 30°C
- Keep out of the reach of children
Uses / Indications:
Treatment of Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Interactions / Warnings:
- It is unsafe to consume alcohol with ZavaMet 500mg Tablet as it may increase the chance of a life-threatening condition known as Lactic Acidosis
- Do not take a double dose of ZavaMet 500 if you ever miss a dose, take it as soon as possible if you have time or skip the dose and follow a regular schedule
Zavamet 50/500 Tablet interacts with the following drugs consult your doctor if you are already taking the following
- Pain killers
- High blood pressure-lowering pills
- Thyroid hormones
- Certain medicines that affect the nervous system
ZavaMet 500 Tablet may be unsafe during pregnancy or breastfeeding consult your doctor immediately
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) may occur when taken along with other antidiabetic medicines, alcohol, or delaying/skipping a meal. Carry a sugar source with you for immediate relief
- Tell your doctor immediately if you experience any deep or rapid breathing, persistent nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain as Metformin may cause a rare but serious condition called lactic acidosis, which is an excess of lactic acid in the blood
- Prolonged use of Metformin may lead to vitamin B12 deficiency which may lead to anemia, causing fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, or headache. Notify your doctor if you experience any of these as you may require supplements
- Your doctor will monitor your blood sugar levels and kidney functions regularly while you are taking this medication
- Vildagliptin should be taken at the same time every day since this helps you remember to take it
- It may cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) when used with other antidiabetic medicines, alcohol or if you delay or miss a meal
- Always carry some sugary food or fruit juice with you in case you experience hypoglycemia symptoms such as cold sweats, cool pale skin, tremors and anxiety
- Be careful while driving or operating machinery until you know how Vildagliptin affects you
- Your doctor may check your kidney and liver function before starting treatment and regularly thereafter. Inform your doctor if you develop symptoms such as abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, darkened urine, or yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Taste change
- Diarrhea or abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Headache and Dizziness
- Common cold and Cough
- Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar level
How to use:
Take Zavamet 500mg with or after a meal. Do not crush or chew the tablet and swallow it as a whole with a glass of water
How it works:
Zavamet 500 Tablet is an antidiabetic drug that contains Vildagliptin 50mg, Metformin 500mg which reduce postmeal sugar levels
Vildagliptin 50mg is a DPP-4 inhibitor that makes the pancreas produce insulin and less glucagon
Metformin 500mg helps the body make better use of the insulin it produces
Q. What does Metformin do exactly?
People with type 2 diabetes are not able to make enough insulin or respond normally to the insulin made by their bodies. When this happens, the concentration of sugar/glucose increases in the blood. Metformin acts in several ways to reduce the increased levels of sugar in the blood. Metformin decreases glucose production from the liver and decreases absorption of glucose from the intestine after taking food while improving the sensitivity of the body organs and muscles towards insulin. This helps improve the uptake of glucose from the blood. It also helps your body to respond better to the insulin it makes naturally
Q. Does Metformin cause weight loss?
Yes, Metformin has been shown to cause weight loss in people who are overweight or obese. It may also cause a modest loss in weight in those overweight and obese individuals who are at risk for diabetes. In addition, patients who are sensitive or resistant to insulin may also show weight loss. But, do not start taking this medicine for weight loss on your own. Consult your doctor for the same
Q. What are the benefits of taking Metformin?
Metformin is one of the first medicines that is given to patients with high blood sugar levels. It helps control blood sugar levels. It promotes the body’s response to the insulin made by the pancreas, decreases the amount of sugar made by the liver, and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. Unlike other oral antidiabetic medicines, Metformin when taken alone, rarely causes low blood sugar as it prevents the pancreas from secreting more insulin. In addition to being a great medicine to lower blood sugar levels, it also helps in controlling weight gain
Q. Can Metformin make you sleepy?
Metformin usually does not cause sleepiness and is well tolerated. However, the use of Metformin may rarely cause sleep disorders and insomnia. Sleepiness may be due to a very serious side effect called lactic acidosis, which particularly occurs if your kidneys are not working properly. Contact your doctor if you feel sleepy or tired while taking Metformin
Q. How to take Metformin Tablet?
Take Metformin with or after a meal. Do not crush or chew the tablet and swallow it with a glass of water. If your doctor has prescribed one tablet a day, prefer taking it in the morning with breakfast. If you have been prescribed two tablets a day, then take one in the morning and the other in the evening with dinner. In case of three doses a day, apart from morning and evening, you can take it with lunch. Taking Metformin with meals will reduce its digestive problems like indigestion, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache, and loss of appetite
Q. When should I take Vildagliptin?
You can take Vildagliptin tablets before, with, or after meals. If you have been prescribed to take this medicine once daily, then take it in the morning. In case you have to take it twice daily, then you should prefer taking the first dose in the morning and the second dose in the evening
Q. Does Vildagliptin cause hypoglycemia?
Yes, Vildagliptin may cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), but the chances are lesser as compared to other antidiabetic drugs. Evidence suggests that treatment with Vildagliptin has been shown to cause hypoglycemia in very rare cases. The risk is low even in those who are prone to hypoglycemia like elderly people or people being treated with insulin. However, the chance of hypoglycemia increases if Vildagliptin is taken along with other antidiabetic drugs
Q. Does Vildagliptin cause weight gain?
No, Vildagliptin does not cause weight gain. Moreover, medicines, such as Vildagliptin, are generally supposed to decrease weight since they act by increasing satiety (feeling of fullness) and delaying emptying of the stomach. This further decreases hunger, restricting the patient from eating more than required
Q. Is Vildagliptin the same as Sitagliptin?
No, Vildagliptin is not the same as Sitagliptin, but both drugs belong to the same class. Additionally, these two drugs have a similar mechanism of decreasing blood glucose levels
- Zavamet 500 Tablet should be used with caution by patients with kidney or liver disease consult your doctor for dose adjustments
- Consult your doctor if you have ever had kidney disease, heart or pancreas problems, or if you drink a lot of alcohol before taking this medication
- It should not be taken by patients with type 1 diabetes or with diabetic ketoacidosis
- People affected with heart diseases like congestive Heart failure or myocardial infarction, Vitamin B12 deficiency, and alcoholism should avoid intake of Zavamet 50/500 Tablet
Disclaimer : The content on KauveryMeds.com is only for informational purposes. Always consult a professional medical practitioner regarding any health or medical conditions and their respective diagnosis or treatment. Follow your doctor's advice and do not disregard it because of something you have seen or read on this website